Time: 10:30 am - 12:30 pm
- Category C: Seminar/ Workshop for urban experts on specific innovation issues
- Category D: Academic Seminar/ Workshop on urban development theory
Admission: Free, please register below.
Event Partner(s): This event is organized in cooperation with the Consulate General of Sweden and the Swedish Chamber of Commerce.
– Mr. Joakim Nordqvist, Affiliated Researcher with Environmental and Energy Systems Studies, Lund University / Climate Strategist, City of Malmö
– Ms. Winnie Ho Wing-yin, Deputy Head of Energizing Kowloon East Office, Development Bureau, HKSAR Government
– Dr. Chan Fung-yi, Lecturer, Department of Applied Social Sciences, The Hong Kong Polytechnic University
– Mr. Paul Zimmerman, District Councilor of Pokfulam constituency & CEO of Designing Hong Kong
Malmö has transformed itself from once declining industrial area into a dynamic, green and sustainable city. Civic engagement has played an important role throughout this transformation. Revealing the needs and suggestions from the neighborhoods, this bottom-up approach breaks the domination of authorities in urban planning. Meanwhile in Hong Kong, the recent trend of public consultation in the urban planning policy process, especially in revitalization projects, is also a practice of welcoming civic engagement. The active participation from district councils and civic societies reflects citizens’ expectations.
Stakeholders from both Malmö and Hong Kong can provide insights on how the local scene of civic involvement in urban planning has changed for the past years in Malmö and Hong Kong. They will examine the motivation of civic societies’ involvement in the Civic engagement. The role of district councils or NGOs in promoting civic involvement will be also discussed to see their incentives and disincentives. Panelists from different points of views in Hong Kong and Malmö will share and discuss their perspectives.
Click to download the presentation content:
“Green City Malmö: Organizational Learning and Citizens’ Participation” (by Joakim Nordqvist)
Bookings are closed for this event.